Presenting: Jon Adams



I met Jon Adams a few years ago through his four-issue comic series "Truth Serum" that was published through Slave Labor comics and I've had the pleasure of hanging out with him at his booth in the Alternative Press Expo the last three years.  He's published three exquisitely designed collections of his comics and is producing a weekly comic strip on his website City Cyclops.  Jon recently quit his day job and made the transition to the life of a freelance artist.  He's got this to say about that move and his philosophy on building an audience.   

"Having a day job means steady income, but little time for emotionally fulfilling enterprises or a balanced life. Living as a freelancer means happiness, but the constant threat of an unstable income. At least until one reaches the point of being wildly successful.
Speaking of income, I've been incredibly fortunate to not go broke. I simply don't have the time, know-how or energy to properly market a book. That's what publishers are for. 
The only thing I think I do well is creating marketing that is at the very least not offensive. Every time I send out a newsletter, design an ad or post something to my blog, my main goal is to make it entertaining. Nobody wants to read a bunch of dry quotes about a product or look at a visually bland design. I try to make my marketing enjoyable and hope for the best."

When not creating, Jon prefers to spend his time pretending to be deceased in public.


No comments:

Post a Comment