Now Presenting: Ben Walker



In preparation for my talk at the 2009 Alaska Arts and Culture Conference, I was able to reach out to a number of artists I've meet over the years to ask about their experiences and for any advice to young artists. 

 Ben Walker is such an artist.

I met Ben Walker at San Francisco's Alternative Press Expo and have talked to him periodically over the years.  Ben has some excellent bear and western themed worked and has done an excellent job translating his work seamlessly between gallery prints, t-shirts and books.  Ben had this excellent advice on building a fan base and a long term career as an artist:
"I think when it comes to selling paintings, just getting cool art up in galleries isn’t enough. Art buyers want to have a connection to the artist. A successful artist needs to be "Out There." In other words an artist needs to be available for one on one contact with those interested in his art and be part of an art community in general.
Aside from painting and illustration work, I run an alternative life drawing studio called Pompsicle. Pompsicle allows artists of various backgrounds and skill levels the chance to draw awesome models in cool outfits and costumes. My painting career feeds into the growth of the drawing studio and vice versa. Folks see my artwork at galleries and hear about my drawing studio (because I'm there, meeting and talking with lots of people). They think “Yeah, I’d love to hang out with this Ben Walker guy and get some tips on drawing!” Attendance of Pompsicle studios grows. On the flip side: regular attendees of my drawing sessions are often the ones who are end up buying my artwork at gallery shows. They buy art because they feel a connection to the artist. The art career grows.
So my advise is to (of course) work on your drawing/painting/etc every day and also get “out there”. Go to gallery openings, attend workshops and conventions, talk to people and generally be part of the scene. If your town seems to be lacking a "scene" start making one! As your art career progresses I hope that you will find your level of involvement in the art community grows with it."
www.benwalkerart.com/
www.myspace.com/pompsicle
Ben Walker on Flikr

No comments:

Post a Comment